Smoking has always been the default when it comes to consuming cannabis. If you want to take each huff to newer highs, then maybe it’s time you smoke hash.
The hash is a concentrated form of cannabis sourced from the plant’s resin plants, for starters. This cannabinoid-rich extract offers much stronger highs than your good ‘ole marijuana flower.
In this guide, you will learn all about the different methods of smoking hash, how to buy hash that suits your needs, and some tips and tricks to make the smoke a memorable one!
What is hash, and why do potheads love it?
Hash, otherwise known as hashish, is a concentrated form of cannabis. It’s made by condensing the resin collected from the trichomes of the cannabis plant.
What’s excellent about it is that it’s extremely potent. That’s because they’re made from the resin explicitly produced by the cannabis flower. Each smoke of this concentrate contains a packing punch of cannabinoids, including THC and CBD.
Analysis shows that the extract can contain anywhere between 20%-60% THC. Some bubble hash even contains significant amounts of CBD and minor cannabinoids.
Like smoking weed, hash contains potent compounds that must be heated or exposed to vaporizers to activate their psychoactive effects. Luckily, there are many ways to use it — you won’t run out of creative options.
Hash can come in many different colours, ranging from golden blonde to black, with varying consistencies depending on the composition of their concentrate. They can be bluntly solid or just wet enough to form little balls.
When making their product, Hash producers often blend various extracts for different textures and flavours, which is surprisingly easy to produce illegally!
Smoking hash in a pipe
Smoking hashish can be done in several ways, but the pipe remains the most preferred method of all. Pipes have been around for hundreds of years and were used even by the ancient Egyptians.
They’re typically made from wood or metal, but glass pipes are also common nowadays and modern versions that use different materials such as silicone rubber.
Pipes can come in various shapes and sizes, but the most common ones are straight or curved. The mouthpiece may be flat, round, angled, or even have holes for better airflow. There are many different ways to smoke hashish with a pipe.
With a bowl
The most popular is packing the bowl with enough hash to cover the screen or metal mesh and lighting it lighter.
With a blow-torch
You can also use a blow-torch to reach your desired temperature (ideally around 350 to 450 Fahrenheit). Once the hash is lit, you must hold the flame over the bowl and inhale simultaneously.
Another way to smoke is by using the rosin technique, which involves applying heat from an external source such as a blow-torch or lighter to pressurize oil. This will create an extremely hot and sticky oil that can then be placed on top of the hash in the bowl.
Smoking hash with a dab rig
Dabbing cannabis concentrates has been around for a while now, but people have just started using hash as an alternative to the typical wax, budder, or shatter.
All things start with the dab rig – a water pipe specifically designed for smoking concentrates and essential oils. They usually consist of a glass tube with a bowl or dome on one end and a nail on the other. The nail can be made from various materials, such as titanium, quartz, or ceramic.
Here’s how you do it:
- Start by loading a small amount of hash onto the nail’s head. Make sure to use a particular type of tool called an “oil can” to collect your product to prevent damaging the surface area.
- Pick up the oil can with one hand and light it on fire with the other.
- Gently invert your rig so that your thumb is pointing towards the bowl at the bottom, and inhale through your mouth to draw air into your rig.
- Slowly release air from your mouth or inhale through your nose until you reach the desired level of smoke.
- Remove your finger from under the nail head and continue drawing until it becomes cloudy.
- Once your rig is full of hash smoke, it’s now time to exhale!
- If you’re using a dab tool with three prongs, gently tap the end that has no tines to clear any remaining ash or resin from your nail head. Once the head is clean, it’s time for another hit!
- If you have some leftover product in your oil can repeat this process before disposing of any remains safely.
A carb cap is recommended for dabbing hash to prevent heat from escaping. Insert the carb cap over the banger, draw in through the mouthpiece, remove the carb cap, and breathe in.
Smoking hash with a vaporizer
Vaporizers (or vapes) are by far one of the best ways to smoke cannabis. They’re quicker, cleaner, and no one has to smell like marijuana for hours afterward.
When you vaporize hash, you can make small quantities of high-quality cannabis concentrate go a long way. It provides an easy and effective method to control intake without burning hash!
That said, vapes cost way more than other smoking equipment. But if you do own a vape pen (or can afford one), there’s no reason not to try it!
Vaporizing hash is pretty simple once you have the equipment. If your vape doesn’t come with instructions for hash use, get online and check out some tutorials or find someone who can help teach you how to do it properly.
You should also be prepared to use a lot more hash than you do with weed. In this way, it’s very similar to smoking dabs or shatter — you’ll need at least half of the amount that you would typically put in your bowl for joints and bongs.
Here’s how you do it:
- Inhale from both ends while simultaneously holding down on either end of the button. It doesn’t matter which end you start with. This will heat the hash and release vapour.
- Hold in the vapour for a few seconds, then exhale.
- You can also try putting your finger over one end of the vape while you suck on the other. This creates a vacuum and increases the speed of heating.
- Experiment until you find what works best. Vape pens are pretty flexible, and it’s up to you to decide what kind of smoking experience you want to get.
Smoking hash in a bong
When smoking hash in a bong, there are a few things you need to keep in mind. The first is that hash is not as potent as marijuana, so you may need to use a bit more than you would for marijuana.
Another thing to remember is that hash can sometimes be crumbly, so it’s essential to make sure the bowl is packed tightly.
Finally, make sure to avoid letting the flame touch the hash, as this can cause it to burn quickly and produce a lot of smoke.
To smoke hash in a bong, you will need:
- A bong
- A lighter
Here’s how you do it:
- Fill your bong with water. The more water, the smoother the hit will be.
- Pack a small amount of hash into the bowl at the top of the bong.
- Light the hash and inhale deeply. Hold the smoke in your lungs for as long as possible.
- Exhale and enjoy!
Smoking hash in a joint
Smoking joints never get old — and for a good reason. There are many reasons why the joint is superior to others, but we’ll keep it simple.
One, it’s easy and convenient. You need just the basics — a blunt wrap, some hash, and a filter (if you’re feeling fancy schmancy).
Two, it’s milder than other delivery methods. Some cannabis consumers want to smoke weed but prefer less harsh smoke. For this group of potheads, hash allows them to enjoy full flavours without being overwhelmed by all the smoke!
Here’s how you do it:
- Take an average-sized rolling or wax paper and lay it out on a hard surface.
- Place a dollop of hash crumbles on the wax paper, ensuring enough space for rolling if you plan to use a filter with your joint. Reserve more space than you usually do.
- Roll up the joint paper tightly, making sure to tuck in the ends, so the crumbles don’t fall out.
- Light one end of the hash joint. Let it light up for about 20 seconds before putting it in your mouth.
- Take long, deep drags without inhaling too deeply or drawing too hard on it.
- Don’t bogart the joint — pass it around!
Smoking hash with the hot knife method
The hot knife method of smoking hash is a simple and common way to smoke hash. Keep in mind that this is a very potent way to consume hash, so start with a small amount and work your way up.
Despite what its name suggests, the hot knife method doesn’t necessarily involve the use of hot knives. You just need any metal utensil to get the job done.
The only tools you need are:
- a hot stovetop or griddle
- a thick metal spoon (preferably stainless steel)
- alternatively, two butter knives (if no spoon is available)
Here’s how you do it:
- Put the metal spoon (or two metal knives) on the hot surface and wait for it to heat up until glowing red.
- Scoop out some hash and put it on top of the heated spoon. Let the knives cool slightly.
- Wait from 30 seconds to a minute for the hash to start smoking. If it doesn’t, increase the heat on the stove or grill.
- Once it starts smoking, hold the spoon with your fingers and inhale from the top. Make sure not to touch the hot metal because it will be very hot!
Smoking hash in a cup
Perhaps you’re bored of pipe smoking hash. Maybe you’ve left your vape at home? Or better yet, could it be that you’re trying to impress your pothead friends?
A great way to turn the party up is to use a cup when smoking hash. Unlike other methods, this requires more technique and know-how to pull off. Those brave and skilled enough to finish the smoke will be rewarded with a hard-hitting high that will impress both you and your social circle!
To smoke hash in a cup, you’ll need some equipment and tools:
- Flat surface, preferably a coffee table
- Glass or metal cup
- Any dab tool to heat the hash
Here’s how you do it:
- Place the cap on the edge of a table. A small portion close to the lip should be peeking over the edge.
- Put a dollop of hash on your dab tool of choice. A bowl or a spoon pipe will also do.
- Heat the hash gently with a lighter. The goal is to create a smouldering ember with slow yet consistent smoke.
- Position your dab tool below the cup so that the smoke produced gathers inside.
- Once the cup is filled with smoke, it’s to inhale. Use a spoon to suck in the smoke. Get ready to do some awkward poses, though.
The bottle toke method
The term bottle toke or BT refers to a style of smoking hash and the size of hash pieces used in that method. There are many ways to construct your bottle toke, but the most accessible one uses a plastic bottle.
Though it’s one of the simplest and most cost-effective options on this list, the bottle toke method is also one of the most hazardous. Use this as your last resort!
Here’s how you do it:
- Take out the lid of the plastic water bottle.
- Bore a hole into the bottle. This hole will serve as the entry point from which the smoke will enter.
- Heat your joint or dab tool just enough until you get a light smoke from the hash.
- Insert the joint through the hole of the bottle. If you’re using a dab tool, place it as close as you can to the hole so that the smoke can enter the bottle.
- Wait for some smoke to accumulate within the bottle.
- Once you’re ready, you can inhale via the open bottleneck.
Unlike other concentrates where you can measure intake easily, smoking hash is all about trial and error. It’s essential to start with a small amount and work your way up.
Hash is a very potent form of cannabis, so you’ll want to take it easy, especially on your first try. Once you gain a little more experience, you go higher. Don’t be afraid to experiment until you find the proper dosage for you.
How long does it take before you feel the effects of smoking hash?
Because hash contains so much THC, the effects are almost instant. It usually takes around a minute for the effects to kick in.
Once you’re high, there’s no going back. The high you get is long-lasting. You may believe that the symptoms have worn off after two to three hours, although you might remain impaired for almost a whole day!
Ice water hash vs dry sift hash.
As you already know, hash gets its potency from collecting crystals or trichomes from cannabis plants. These cannabinoid-rich components are then dried are formed into solid shapes for easy use.
Most hash fall under two main categories: the dry-sift and the ice-water. These oddly specific names refer to extracting the resin from cannabis buds. It’s essential to know the characteristics since they’ll play a massive role in the kind of experience you’ll be getting.
Dry sift hash
Dry sifting is the traditional method of making hash. It’s a straightforward process that only requires two things: a screen and some kind of collection container. Dry-sift hash is also known as kief hash.
Pros of kief hash
Unlike other extraction methods, dry sifting is very simple and can be done with a few inexpensive items. Many potheads make their dry sift kief at home because it’s uncomplicated.
Another great thing about kief hash is that you have more control over the quality of hash produced. Since it doesn’t require any extra solvents, the product you’re getting is free from harmful chemicals.
Cons of kief hash
However, making dry sift hash is a laborious process. Some compounds break down by rigorous sifting. In terms of quality, dry sift hash may not live up to your expectations.
Bubble Hash (or ice-water hash) is a hash made by using ice and water to separate the trichomes from the cannabis plant. The resulting product is a powder that is high in THC and CBD.
Pros of bubble hash
The pros of bubble hash are the high THC content and the higher yields. The hash produced by the ice-water method does not burn. Instead, it flows like a liquid when exposed to high temperatures.
Since bubble hash doesn’t burn, they also have a lower chance of being flushed. The result is a potent experience that does not weaken even when heated with a pipe, a blow-torch, or other heating equipment.
Cons of bubble hash
On the other hand, bubble hash is a more expensive extraction process and requires more time. You also need a Master-Sifter or a high-quality screen to produce quality bubble hash, which drives up the cost even more.
Factors to consider when buying hash
You’ll need to abandon what you know about what makes a good cannabis flower when buying hash. That’s because this concentrate is almost like an entirely different product despite coming from the same source itself.
Smell and Taste
Hash has a very distinctive taste and smells that’s quite different from other concentrates. Some hash tastes fruity, while other hash tastes earthy or spicy. The smell can also be quite strong, especially when smoked.
Watch out for mouldy or stale odours. If you think the hash doesn’t smell right, then you should likely trust your instinct.
Hash can produce different effects depending on how it is smoked. Hash will usually produce a solid and long-lasting high when smoked in a joint. When smoked in a pipe or bong, a hash can create an instant high that is more intense but shorter-lived.
When you smoke hash, you’re always expecting something powerful. How high you get with hash is a good indicator of quality. In general, this cannabis concentrate has a higher THC content and intense high than others.
Hash can come in many different colours, depending on the plant material made from. Most hash comes in varying shades of brown, black, or blonde. Like those with Lebanese origins, some variants have a more reddish appearance.
The texture can also vary, depending on how it is made. Some hash is sticky and gooey, while others are more dry and crumbly. Determining the texture is an excellent way to know how well the hash has been processed.
The Bubble Test
One way to determine if your hash is free from contaminants is to perform what is known as the “bubble test.” Don’t let the name mislead you. You can use this test on both dry-sift and ice-water hash.
With a high-powered lighter, expose the hash to the flame briefly. A high-quality hash will burn almost instantly. You should notice the resin bubble as it continues to blaze.
If the hash turns black after this test, it’s possible that chemicals or additives were combusted with the resin. When the hashish does not bubble, it may be low-quality and contaminated with pollutants or high quantities of residual plant material.
How to properly store hash
It is essential to store the hash in a cool, dry place. Make sure to keep it away from direct sunlight and heat. Storing hash in an airtight container is ideal for keeping it fresh.
Some other helpful tips when it comes to storing hash include:
- Make sure it is adequately sealed.
- Don’t keep your stash in the freezer.
- Do not store hash near anything that could contaminate it, like insecticides or household cleaners.
- Store the container with the original seal.
Hash has a shelf life of around six months if stored properly. However, the taste will decrease over time, and you might notice that your product loses its potency due to this reason. Therefore, make sure you don’t stock too much if you want to enjoy hash to its fullest.
What are some excellent hash products to buy?
There are many different types of hash products on the market. Here is a few recommendations guarantee to rock your world:
- Blonde Lebanese Hash
- Buddha Hash
- Gold Crown Black Hash
- Red Dragon Gold Seal Black Hash
- Tootsie Roll Hash
Where can I buy hash online?
If you’re looking to buy top-quality hash at the best prices available, then look no further! Creator’s choice is your #1 for all things canna-concentrated.
Our cannabis concentrates are guaranteed to get you high in no time. We also offer other top-shelf weed products. From rare cannabis flowers to tantalizing edibles, we’ve got you covered!
Other useful tips
- Smoking hash is a very effective way to get high. It doesn’t matter which method you use, but you mustn’t smoke tobacco with hash. Tobacco only masks the taste of the hash and worsens nausea.
- If you’re looking to enjoy hashish in its purest form, we recommend using a vaporizer. This will allow you to inhale the THC and other cannabinoids without the harmful smoke.
- Hash can also be added to food or drinks for those who want to experience its effects but don’t smoke. Be sure to experiment and find what works best for you. There are many different ways to enjoy hash!
Hash is a cannabis resin that can be consumed in many ways. It’s usually more potent than marijuana flowers, and the hard-hitting effects come almost instantly.
Smoking hash is an experience that will take you to a whole new place. Whether it’s the perfect way to end your day or if you choose not to smoke weed and want something different, we hope this beginner guide has helped you understand how to smoke hash and use this product responsibly.
If you’ve tried any of these tips or techniques, what has your experience been so far? Let us know in the comments below! We’d love to hear from you.